Monday 2 February 2015

Evaluation for personal project


Michaela Spinks-Evaulation for Personal Project.

For the personal project, I really wanted to push myself with my final outcome, as I feel my previous ones do not show off my full potential. I wanted to create a travel book full of photos that I take on my way to college, or other places on my travels I see often. My essay was about expressing the beauty of those places that are not seen as your 'typical' beauty, so I thought my local area was best at representing this. New Addington and Croydon are not seen as the most glamorous of places, however because I have grown up around them, I get to see their beauty and bad days. I want my travel book to look full and messy, like my own personal scrapbook that is full of different creations and different materials.

I started off doing collages in my book of different images, and then went on to do a themed collage of pictures I associate with London. I really enjoyed this because I messed around with the composition and also used different fabrics and materials for the backgrounds, which I thought, worked well creating a more textual piece. Once I then took photo's, I edited them on Photoshop, however I didn't do anything dramatic because I still wanted them to look natural. Therefore I just exaggerated a few of the highlights in each picture by manipulating the colour balance, which I thought brought out more tones and gave the overall photo a slight filter. This was how I tried to bring out each photo's individual beauty. I also experimented using the filter gallery, as some of the effects on there could create a more textual look to the overall picture. Some of the effects however took away the natural aspect to the pictures, and either highlighted areas I didn't want to be highlighted or decreased the focus on the areas I wanted to be shown. Some of the pictures I did like in black and white because they created more of a sophisticated look, as I do feel the colour took away the focus of the actual content in the pictures, that’s why I preferred it black and white.

When it came to experimenting with my final pictures and the final outcomes I wanted for them, I used personal materials such as my own collections like cinema tickets, receipts, appointment cards etc, but I also used twigs I picked up from my garden and a few things I found at the bus stop outside my house.   For my final outcome book, I have looked into the technique of combining the pages together through binding. I really liked the personal handmade, yet sophisticated layout of sewing the pages together as it looked personal and experimental.

What went well with the design process was that I knew exactly what I wanted. All my experiments linked in with each other, there were no random experiments that I didn't learn anything from. From my experiments I learned that less is more when it comes to expressing images in a more naturalistic way. I knew what I wanted to achieve and I did everything I could to achieve them. Finalizing my final layout for my book was a big moment for me, because it's one of the few pieces of work I have completed and actually looked at it and thought, yes, that's exactly what I wanted. I went out of my comfort zone and pushed myself to achieve my work to the standard I did.

I looked into three artists when completing my essay, and they were James Griffioen, Marchand and Meffre and Lin Osborn. What I loved about all three of them was the freedom in their work, the way they expressed the beauty of places that others may see as 'ugly'. I liked how Lin Osborns work had this sophisticated final layout, whereas James Griffioens work was more relaxed and less finalized. I feel this made his work more relatable out of the three of them, however I preferred how Marchand and Meffre's work was clearly more planned out and showed their intentions.

What I feel didn't go so well was relating my work to the artists I looked at in my essay. I loved all three of their photographs, however none of my pictures looked like any of them. I don't think I took enough time when it came to taking photo's because they're not at the standard they could have been. I didn't pay much attention to leading lines, or the rule of three, or other ways to capture the viewer’s attentions.  On the other hand, a part of me is glad that my pictures were not that technical, that some of them were at a slight angle, or did not have straightforward composition, because my aim was for them to look spontaneous and relatable. I don’t think they would have come across as relatable if they just look like a photograph with no meaning or story behind it; I wanted my pictures to make people think. If I had more time, I would have taken photo's of the same places, however I would have thought more about the time of day I took them. The building in East Croydon for example, I took in the morning on my way to college, however I didn't think about taking the same photo, in the same place later on in the day when it was darker and all the lights were on. This made me think I could have represented my daily travels a lot better than just showing all my pictures at the same time of day. I also would have experimented further with different materials because I feel I could have gone to a shop and bought more objects to put on the pages instead of just finding stuff on the ground outside.

The new skills that I learnt were believing in myself more, and pushing myself out my comfort zone. I feel this is what made me happy with my final outcome, compared to previous times before when I would create the same old things and not feel any pride towards them.

No comments:

Post a Comment